2018-2019 PTC Board
Thank you for your willingness to run for a position on the PTC Board. Every position on the PTC is open. Please read the job descriptions below—if there's a position you're interested in please submit your name. The slate of candidates can be found here (please note this list will be updated as names are submitted). The entire Wood Gormley community will vote on candidates at 6pm, Thursday, May 17 in the Wood Gormley Library.
Questions? Please contact our current PTC President, David Friedland -OR- the current board member who holds the position in which you're interested.
The President shall be the principal executive officer of the corporation and shall in general supervise and control all of the business and affairs of the corporation. The president shall:
- preside at all meetings of the members and shall preside at all meetings of the directors;
- request at each annual meeting of the members and directors reports of the condition of the business of the corporation
- cause to be called annual and special meetings of the members and directors in accordance with the requirements of New Mexico law and these by-laws;
- solicit agenda items from board of directors or membership, as appropriate to create meeting agendas and then work with the communications chair, as needed to send out and post agendas;
- act as one of two people (the other being the Treasurer) to sign and execute all contracts in the name of the corporation and all deeds, mortgages, bonds, contracts, notes, drafts or other orders for payment of money or other instruments which the board of directors have authorized to be executed, except in cases where the signing and execution shall be expressly delegated by the board of directors or by these by-laws to some other officer or agent of the corporation or shall be required by law to be otherwise signed or executed;
- cause all books, reports, statements and certificates to be properly kept and filed as required by law;
- work with the Treasurer on a monthly review of bank statements and reconciliation reports;
- enforce these by-laws and perform all the duties incident to the office and which are required by law and generally perform all duties incident to the office of president and such other duties as may be prescribed by the board of directors from time to time;
- provide PTC information to the Principal for school’s monthly newsletter. The president shall work with the Communications Chair, as needed to distribute the PTC information to the Wood Gormley Community;
- if invited by the Principal, attend Student Advisory Council (SAC) meetings; and
- coordinate the annual election.
The Vice President (VP) shall be the second executive officer of the corporation and shall in general assist the President in all of the business and affairs of the corporation. The Vice President shall:
- attend to all duties under the President when the President is not available;
- oversee the duties and responsibilities of the Fundraising and Direct Donations Chair as well as the Volunteer Coordinator and help these chairs organize the Wood Gormley Community in activities such as the Membership Welcome Coffees, major events, and fundraising efforts;
- act as district liaison for the school. The VP shall serve as the liaison between Wood Gormley elementary school and the Santa Fe public school district. As school district liaison, this person shall make oral reports as necessary to the board of directors and the members concerning district meetings attended; and
- organize and manage the Snowflake Drive to provide for families in need during the holidays.
The Secretary shall record proceedings at all meetings of the board of directors and of the members of the corporation. The minutes shall include the date and place of the meeting, whether regular or special, the names of those present and the proceedings of the meeting. The secretary shall work with the Communications chair to provide appropriate notice regarding all meetings (i.e., such as signs outside the school, website notification, robocalls, etc.). The secretary shall ensure that minutes are sent to board members within an appropriate time following each meeting so that members can review for accuracy. The secretary shall revise the minutes according to suggestions made by board members before preparing for approval and the next meeting. The secretary shall:
- maintain a complete and current list of all directors, their addresses and telephone numbers;
- attest the execution of instruments on behalf of the corporation by a proper officer of the corporation; and
- in general, perform all duties incident to the office of secretary and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the president or by the board of directors.
The Treasurer shall be the custodian of all the corporation's funds and shall have the care and custody of and be responsible of all funds, property and securities of the corporation. If required by the board of directors, the treasurer shall have such bond as they shall determine appropriate for the faithful performance of the treasurer's duties. The treasurer shall:
- deposit such funds and securities in the name of the corporation in such banks, trust companies or other depositories as shall be designated by the board of directors;
- act as the signatory to make, sign and endorse, in the name of the corporation all checks, drafts, notes and other orders for the payment of money. Any transaction over $1000 shall require the second signature of the president or vice president if the president is not available;
- maintain complete and accurate financial records of all the corporation’s business and transactions and shall at all reasonable hours’ exhibit books and accounts to any director upon request; the treasurer should provide monthly financial/bank statements to the entire board;
- prepare and present an accurate accounting and full financial report of the condition of the finances of the corporation at all monthly meetings of the board of directors and at the meetings of the membership and at such other times as are required;
- further perform all duties incident to the office of treasurer of the corporation including preparing and filing all tax forms required by law;
- file Secretary of State annual reports; and
- work with President and Principal to create a draft budget to present to the Board in April. The Secretary shall then make any required revisions and present to the General Membership for approval in May.
Fundraising/Direct Donations Chair (FDD).
The FDD is responsible for ensuring that we raise sufficient funds to cover annual expenses, filling in gaps from major events with direct donations solicitation and other spot fundraisers (i.e., seasonal gift sales, brick sales, etc.). The FDD chair shall complete a written report of the project or event they chair for use by the board of directors and future chair people. The FDD chair shall:
- work with the Vice President on the two Welcome Coffees;
- plan, advertise and coordinate the parent direct donation drive;
- submit and file records of the funds collected from the parent direct donation drive to the President and the Treasurer and then send thank you notes to each donor for their contributions; and
- in the absence of the Vice President or in the event of the Vice President’s inability or refusal to act, the FDD chair shall perform the duties of the Vice President, and when so acting, shall have all the powers and be subject to all the responsibilities of the office of President and shall perform such duties and functions as the board of directors may prescribe under the President’s responsibilities.
Volunteer Coordinator (VC).
The VC shall help with the recruitment of volunteers to form a committee responsible for all PTC events and activities throughout the year (i.e., Fall Festival, Panther Run, Field Day). The VC will work closely with the Events Chair(s) and Parent Room Rep Coordinator to solicit volunteers and fulfill the specific needs for each event.
Parent Room Rep Coordinator and After School Club Coordinator (PRRC).
The PRRC will facilitate and organize the Room Rep sign up at the beginning of the school year. If not all classes have a Room Rep, the PRRC will recruit parents to serve for their classroom. The PRRC will communicate with classroom Parents Reps on a regular basis through email regarding all school events as well as give ideas for supporting teachers and classroom needs/ideas/functions. The PRRC will help support the VC in recruiting volunteers by sharing volunteer opportunities with the Room Reps. The PRRC is responsible for hosting and coordinating the Teacher Appreciation Lunches which happen during the Teacher Conference Days. The PRRC shall also serve as the point of contact for all after school clubs sponsored by the PTC. The PRRC will present after school club proposals to the Board for consideration.
Three Events Chairs (ECs).
The ECs shall solicit chair people and delegate responsibility for each Event committee, project or event designated by the Board of Directors. The Events Chairs include the Fall Event Chair, the Winter Event Chair, and the Spring Event Chair.
- The Fall EC will coordinate all events that take place from the start of the school year until the Thanksgiving Break. This can include but is not limited to the Fall Festival and a Movie Night.
- The Winter EC will coordinate all events that take place from the Thanksgiving Break through Valentine’s Day. This can include but is not limited to an auction, an event for Wood Gormley parents like a gala or wine tasting event, and/or any Holiday event.
- The Spring Event Chair is responsible for the coordination of all events that take place after Valentine’s Day until the end of the school year. This can include but is not limited to the Panther Run and potentially a movie night.
Communications Chair (CC).
The CC shall maintain and update the Wood Gormley PTC website and Facebook page as appropriate. The CC shall prepare all notices regarding upcoming Board Member and General Membership meetings. These can include but are not limited to: website updates, Facebook updates, physical signs outside of the school, robocalls made to membership, and any other form of communication that the board members deem necessary. The CC works closely with the Secretary to ensure timely and accurate posting of and or distribution of board of directors and general membership meeting minutes.